Valley Voices is presented by the Academy of Music Theatre and New England Public Radio.
HOW TO AUDITION:
During the set audition period, call our designated phone line at 413-735-6688 to share the first sentence of your story, and your contact information. Please share only the first line of your story. Speak slowly and clearly when giving your line and your contact information.
March 1: “Neighbors”: Auditions open January 15 – February 1
April 5: “The Silver Lining”: Auditions open February 12 – March 1
May 3: “Landline”: Auditions open March 21 – April 5
June 7 : If I Knew Then”: Auditions open April 18 – May 3
Storytellers will be selected based on the strength of their first line and will be invited to share their story live at Valley Voices. Selected storytellers are encouraged to attend a free storytelling workshop, which will help to cultivate personal stories into performances. Storytellers will be offered the opportunity to purchase one ticket for a friend – we know you want moral support while you’re up on that stage!
Story Slam Rules
- Stories must be submitted for consideration through New England Public Radio’s designated phone line on the dates described above. Share the first line of your story as you would tell it the night of the slam. Your name, email and phone number need to be recorded on voicemail. *Please speak clearly and slowly. Phone line: 413-735-6688
- Stories must be personal, first-person narrative and from your life experience
- Stories must be told without notes, props, costumes or musical instruments
- Your story must relate to the theme
- Each storyteller gets 5 minutes with a one-minute warning
- You must be 18 or older and reside in New England
- If you’ve participated in a Valley Voices story slam or auditioned for previous seasons you are welcome to re-audition. You may audition for all four events in Season 4.
- If you take 1 st , 2 nd or 3 rd place in a slam, you cannot participate in other slams during the season (you will be moving on to the Best of Valley Voices in the fall!)
- All storytellers must agree to have their story recorded for use on the Valley Voices Podcast.
- The top 3 storytellers for each slam will go on to compete in the “Best of Valley Voices Story Slam” at the Academy of Music in October 2018. If you are in the top three, you must commit to sharing a story for Best of Valley Voices. The top two storytellers will be featured on the Valley Voices podcast
- Members of the Academy of Music and New England Public Radio staff will select 10 storytellers and 2 alternates for each slam.
- Selected storytellers will be notified and are invited to participate in a storytelling workshop before the Story Slam to hone their story
- Audience members will be given Audience Choice Ballots and will choose their favorite story
- A volunteer panel from the Academy of Music and NEPR will tabulate first, second, and third place winners
The top 3 storytellers for each slam will go on to compete in the “Best of Valley Voices Story Slam” at the Academy of Music in October 2018. If you are in the top three, you must commit to sharing a story for Best of Valley Voices. The top two storytellers will be featured on the Valley Voices podcast for that theme. Other stories collected could be used in other podcasts later in the season.