Join our Team
The Academy of Music is actively seeking the following positions:
Theater Manager – Full Time
The Academy of Music Theatre, an 816-seat performing arts center, located in beautiful downtown Northampton, Massachusetts, seeks a Theater Manager who will ensure quality customer service and the smooth and effective operation of the theater during productions and other events. This individual is responsible for recruiting, training and supervising customer service staff, including house managers, concessions workers, and volunteers, and also oversees the activities of third-party vendors (e.g., caterers) who participate in supporting productions. The Academy is a fast-growing non-profit. Applicants with the following experience and skills preferred:
- Provide appropriate house management for all rehearsals, performances and events, including development events
- Oversee all front of house staff and volunteers, including recruitment, hiring, scheduling
- Work closely with backstage staff to ensure a timely start to performances
- Assist Development Committee and Executive Director with development and community events planning
- Ensure that front-of-house staff follow proper procedures as established by the theater’s board and management to maintain guest safety and comfort
- Serve as the point person for handling any situations that arise with guests immediately before, during and immediately after performances.
- Supervise the maintenance and cleaning of public spaces, including the main theater seating area, lavatories, lobby and lounge, heating and cooling systems
- Supervise Box Office
- Arrange building maintenance with Central Services or outside vendors
- Tracking rental charges and fees and providing invoice for renters
- Coordinate concession and merchandise displays in the concession area
- Manage vendors associated with concessions
- Maintain concession inventory and reports
- Apply for permits and licenses associated with concessions and vendor activities (e.g., liquor licenses, raffle permits)
- Recruiting, coordinating and training all front-of-house volunteers, including ticket takers, ushers, hosts, or reception workers
- Communicating opportunities to existing volunteers
- Providing proper supervision for volunteers at events at the theater
- Coordinating any artwork, seasonal decorations or advertisement on display
- Manage social media accounts
- Manage E-newsletter
- Poster displays
Any other tasks assigned by Executive Director
- B.A. in related field
- Strong knowledge of theater, performing arts and film and experience working in theater or a related field
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities
- Customer service skills and experience
- Ability to manage staff effectively
- Strong familiarity with computer software, including word-processing, Excel spreadsheets, email, and Webmail. Knowledge of Box Office software helpful.
- Physical ability to lift and carry boxes, equipment and supplies up to 30 lbs.
- Physical ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time and to climb stairs to access balcony areas.
- Ability to work nights and weekends on a flexible schedule as required.
- Certified in first aid procedures and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) preferred
- ServSafe or TIPS certification will be required upon employment
How To Apply:
Send résumé and three references by November 30th to Executive Director, Debra J’Anthony at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Academy of Music
274 Main Street,
Northampton, MA 01060.
No phone calls please.
November 30, 2023
$56,000 – $60,000
About this Organization:
The Academy of Music Theatre is an 816 seat non-profit performing arts center located in the beautiful college town of Northampton, Massachusetts.
House Manager- Part Time
The Academy of Music Theatre seeks a part-time House Manager to join its Front of House team. This position will work an events-based schedule, with the possibility of cross-training in multiple positions.
- Preparing the theater for an event.
- Supervising other part time paid staff and volunteers working for the Academy.
- Ensuring that the conditions of the rental agreement are met throughout the event
- Guaranteeing the satisfaction and the safety of patrons
- Assisting concessionaires as needed
- Monitoring proper cash handling procedures for concessions/bar
- Communicating with stage management for a timely, safe event
- Overseeing the theater facilities and patrons during an event
- Use the ticketing software to file house reports and be able to run sales reports if needed
- Ensuring that the theater is cleaned and secured when the event is finished.
The successful candidate will have experience working in a live events setting, demonstrate leadership and a commitment to customer service, be comfortable upholding organizational policies with renters and patrons, and be able to calmly and discretely troubleshoot challenges in a busy, public environment. Customer service, cash handling and basic math and computer skills are required.
Pay rate: $18.50/hr
To apply, please submit a resume and three references to Melissa Cleary Pearson, the Academy’s Theater Manager, at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until a candidate is selected.