Registration for Matilda JR is currently full. Those who have signed up for the waitlist will be notified via email if a spot opens up for you. Thank you!
This program is open to performers between the ages of 9 and 16 of all experience levels in performance! This production will be a fast-paced rehearsal process designed to develop and grow skills of artistic expression, self-confidence, and collaborative teamwork in theater arts.
Full details about the program are listed below. Email email@example.com if you have further questions.
- Auditions January 4th, 2024
- Callbacks January 6th, 2024
- Rehearsals start January 9th
- Tech/Dress rehearsals March 4th – 6th
- Performances March 7th & 8th
Roald Dahl’s Matilda The Musical JR. is adapted from the full-length musical which was based on the book by Roald Dahl, and features a book by Dennis Kelly and music and lyrics by Tim Minchin.
Matilda, a little girl with astonishing wit, intelligence and psychokinetic powers, lives with cruel parents who find her to be a nuisance, a lousy little worm, and a bore. When Matilda enters her first term at school, she captures the attention of Miss Honey, a kind teacher, and the two form a wonderful friendship. Unfortunately, the school is ruled by a tempestuous and mean headmistress named Miss Trunchbull, who hates children and delivers cruel and unjust punishments to all her charges. Matilda is determined to change her story, but will her cleverness and courage be enough to withstand the reign of Miss Trunchbull?
NOTE: The story of Roald Dahl’s Matilda does include some darker themes including child neglect and abuse. The original book and its adaptations are intended for children and we are performing a version of the musical that has been adapted by MTI to be performed by young actors, but I still encourage you to become familiar with the story and its source material prior to registering to make sure you and your child are comfortable with its content. -Kyle Lawrence, Education Director.
- Tuition of $410 + $12 registration fee = $422 total cost for the program.
- Tuition helps cover costs of props and costumes and hiring professional artists to direct and design for this show. The cost of a cast T-Shirt is also included in tuition.
- $12 Registration Fee covers Academy of Music administration and production costs prior to rehearsals, as well as any processing and convenience provided by Dance Studio Pro.
- Full tuition is due at the time of registration through Dance Studio Pro.
- Refund Protocol: The $12 registration fee in addition to 50% of tuition ($205) is considered a deposit to claim your spot and is non-refundable.
- No refunds will be given after December 1st, 2023.
- Registration will go live on September 1st, 2023.
- Registration is through Dance Studio Pro. You will need to create an account for you and your child to register.
- A Parent/Student Forms Packet will be emailed to you prior to rehearsals beginning. Please review, sign, and return all of its contents before the audition.
- All who register will be cast in the show, but spots fill up quickly so don’t wait!
- If registration is full you can still sign up for the wait list in case a spot opens up for you.
- You will be notified via email if a spot opens for you.
- Auditions will take place in the evening of Thursday January 4th, 2024.
- After registering you will receive more information to sign up for a specific audition group time.
- If you are unavailable to audition in person on January 4th, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org immediately to set up a video audition or make other arrangements.
- Video auditions will be due on January 3rd.
- Auditions will be in smaller groups to sing your solo vocal audition and learn and perform a short dance audition combo.
- Please prepare to sing a 1 minute audition cut of a Musical Theatre song in the style of the show.
- Prepare to sing with a karaoke track that you’ve practiced with.
- Please no tracks with voices.
- You can bring this ready to go on your own device, or you can send it in advance to email@example.com.
- There will be no live pianist for this audition.
- Dance auditions will happen during your scheduled audition group time.
- You will be taught a short dance combination and perform it for the directing team in small groups.
- Wear appropriate attire for dance with your hair pulled back out of your face.
- Come to the audition with your body already warmed up and ready to move and dance.
- Everyone who is registered and auditions will receive a callback time as well.
- Callbacks will take place in the morning / early afternoon of Saturday January 6th, 2024.
- You will be given a callback time (5-10min) after registering.
- Callback material will be sent out after auditions. (A short section of a song or dialogue from the show.)
- You are asked to learn and prepare your callback material to the best of their ability prior to your callback time.
- In your callback session you will perform the material you were asked to prepare for the directing team.
- Please notify in advance if you are not available for callbacks on January 6th so we can make other arrangements.
- A cast list will be sent via email before the first rehearsal on January 9th.
- Rehearsals start January 9th, 2024.
- Rehearsals are on Tuesdays and Thursdays with some Wednesdays added closer to the performance dates.
- Rehearsals take place from 5:00pn – 7:00pm at the Academy of Music Theatre in Northampton.
- **Not everyone will be needed and called to all rehearsals.*
- A detailed rehearsal calendar will be shared after auditions based on the conflicts you have shared prior to rehearsals starting. (Conflict calendar is part of the Parent/Student Forms Packet).
- DRESS REHEARSALS will take place March 4th, 5th, and 6th.
***Everyone who registers must be able to attend at least the majority of all rehearsals, and be available for all rehearsals the last two weeks of the program (February 27th – March 6th) AND both performance dates (March 7th & 8th). ***
- Missing rehearsals may result in not being in certain songs and scenes or having certain parts reassigned. We want everyone to have as much stage-time as possible, but there isn’t enough time in the process to always be able to re-teach material that is missed. Thank you for understanding.
- Click here to see Matilda JR Rehearsal Calendar Overview
Roald Dahl’s Matilda The Musical JR. is presented through special arrangement with and all authorized materials are supplied by Music Theatre International 423 West 55th Street, New York, NY 10019, 212-541-4684, mtishows.com.
Sign up for the Academy of Music Newsletter to receive updates on future registration and programming.
If you have further questions please reach out to education director Kyle Lawrence at firstname.lastname@example.org